Did you know that when you donate money to AKUN, more than 98% goes directly to projects?
Tropeang Skun SFP 2020
Check out the photos from the first SFP, held in the new educational building/library, on February 9th 2020!
How much does it cost?
$70/£60/€65 per week including the salary of 2 ladies to prepare the nutritious 'bobo' (rice porridge) mixed with eggs, chicken meat and vegetables.
2020 SFP expansion
In 2019, the villagers in Tropeang Skun were building a library. Fr. Gianluca asked AKUN to set up a Sunday Feeding Program at the library once it was completed. AKUN agreed to fund this program during 2020, at a cost of $25 for each Sunday, as well as the purchasing of all the start up equipment needed.
This wonderful program started in 2008 in Chumkiri, Kampot Province (one of the poorest in Cambodia). It currently serves up to 180 children, coming from very poor families, in the villages of Chumkiri and Or. Every Sunday, the children are served one very nutritious meal of 'bobo', a rice porridge packed with eggs, chicken meat and veggies. It might not seem much but that one meal a week has proved to improve the health of these children. It is also a nice way to gather them together and check on their health and family issues, as well as, an opportunity for the youth to serve their community.
What are the benefits of this program?
- to improve the health of the children;
- to build community life;
- to employ 2 local ladies;
- to involve the youth group;
- to give basic moral and hygiene principles
Due to Covid-19, all Sunday Feeding Program activities have been suspended.
The last Sunday the group met was March 15th. It will resume when the Cambodian government allows groups of this size to gather together again.
What happens each Sunday?
- Early in the morning, children come on their bikes if they have one or on the 'rowie' (a trailer pulled by a motorbike);
- at about 8am, the children are welcomed and gather in groups organized by the youth group;
- they play games, sing and dance;
- they wash their hands;
- they sit in lines and wait for the 'bobo' to be served by the youth group;
- they sing and listen to the youth and Fr Gianluca talking to them;
- they eat;
- they go home.
SUNDAY FEEDING PROGRAM
Check for monthly photo updates:
How can you help?
You can donate the $70 for your chosen Sunday and in your honor, a special thank you will be said, on that day in Chumkiri. After you donate, you will also receive a special certificate to commemorate the day. Click here to donate!